Tuesday 7 October 2014

Week 2 Thoughts and Rick Schwier

Week 2 already! The past week flew by for me and I managed to post about my thoughts on week 1, find a couple MOOC's that I was interested in and then skim through the courses. More MOOC's to come later in the week as I get more time to explore.

On Tuesday one of the "set" slide to our lesson was about our earliest memories of educational technology (ET). From my days as an elementary student in the mid to late 1980's I remember the slide show with cassette tape to tell stories. It made such an impression on me I still remember hearing the story of "Rumpelstiltskin" for the first time. I also enjoyed the classic title in our new computer lap in 1992, "Where in the World is Carmen San Diego".

While these memories are early uses of ET, I enjoyed the historical reference to the earliest mass production printing presses, and how that to is considered ET. I had to agree with Rick that while our discipline is changing rapidly, it's hardly new. It makes sense when you think about it, teachers have been using the latest technology to enhance learning for a long time.

I was also interested in Rick's analysis of the new types of ET, with social media and social software to enhance group learning being the current focus...... I found myself interested in what software in particular could be useful with students and what form that would take.

I also enjoyed rick's obvious knowledge and enthusiasm for the ET and took some valuable knowledge away from the session.

So far I've enjoyed the online class learning feel and it's flexible learning times. The connections are useful PD (on twitter especially). It's only been two weeks and I feel I've learned a lot. I'm looking forward to seeing what the MOOC's I take have to offer as well and look forward to blogging about that experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment